Ask Sanityville: Can Christians refuse to pay taxes until abortion is defunded?

Well, I’m not sure that I’m going to persuade many of you, accept that I think where we differ is largely in our interpretation, not of scripture but of context. Secondly, I’m a public servant, and have worked in regulatory government for over a dozen years. So I’ve given thought to the subject of regulation and my faith, a little more than most.

I’ve always sought to avoid over-simplifying Romans 13, especially when it could be so self-serving to the one in authority. Let’s not forget, Christ also commanded the tax collector to do what was right and to not take more than what was owed. What a problematic command, especially since tax collectors in that day were not on a government salary but lived off the excess of what they could collect.

America is said to be a nation of laws, not of men. Challenging, an authority under that law is not necessarily rebellion. If in doing my job, and I stray outside of the authority given to me by law, those over whom I’m given authority may appeal to a higher authority on the basis of the law, not on the basis of whether or not I actually have the authority to do my job. I expect those under my authority to be professional and respectful but I don’t begrudge them the right to seek a different decision from my higher up. That’s not rebellion necessarily, though it can be when dishonest methods are used to achieve their desired ends.

Alternatively, I’ve also seen instances where higher ups at one time or another decided to disallow something for which they had no legal standing to prohibit. Why? Because their authority was enumerated but they were acting as though it wasn’t. When those overreaches were brought to the attention of new higher up, they had to decide whether the allow the precedent to stand in spite of the overreach or to change policy.

At the national level numerous stumbling blocks have been raised over the last 200 years by rebellious men, who hated the law under which they were to served. In their rebellion we now live in a nation where all law is interpreted or even new law written through the lense of controversy. In fact, (sarcasm warning) the third legislative branch of our government (i.e. the Supreme Court) has decided that it will only hear cases of controversy. Case in point, no national law was ever passed permitting the abomination of abortion, but it was dictated by judicial fiat and utter rebellion. It was rebellion in multiple ways, first because it sought to overturn laws that already regarded murder of the unborn as murder, secondly, it was rebellion against God and his authority to say what is evil.

This is why its impossible to correct this particular evil legislatively. Abortion will have to be rectified judicially. Which means that our present rebellion must be confronted with the law. So this raises the question as to the methods of those confronting this immoral act. Is the man merely refusing to pay taxes, or is he willing to pay them in so far as the national government not violate its own laws.

For the sake of this discussion I’ll avoid the question of the constitutionality of federal income taxes, or even of the constitutionality of the federal government to regulate anything but interstate commerce, as those matter may be in rebellion of the constitution but not necessarily in rebellion of God’s moral law. But I will say that using the imperative discussed already, we can clearly say that such rebellion against the constitution is also rebellion against God, whether or not the controversy is one of such moral clarity.

But since we do have constitution rights enumerated separately from the powers granted to our governing authorities, we must ask if there is legitimate contraversy caused by constitutional rebellion, for which this man might have standing. Frankly I’m not going to try to judge all of those elements of his contraversy, and those who do will only render a decision of the basis of their majority opinion.

There is not much else that I despise as morality by consensus. In either case, if he is able to prove that the act of taking taxes from Christians and giving them to other competing religious authorities for the sake of their rituals, is a violation of the Constitution, which prohibits the establishment of a religion, well I’m ok with that.

Again, I don’t fully know his motives, and don’t really care to examine his every method of bringing the contraversy to light, as I am not going to be the one to judge him. He might win and he might loose, but that won’t be how we know that it was rebelion or if he was living like a faithful Israelite in Babylonian captivity.

2 Likes

The only way to make the argument is to say what our founding fathers did. You cannot say that the government has no authority to tax you if it does anything immoral with the money. The founding fathers went ahead and declared the government null and void on the basis of its actions and a philosophy of governmental legitimacy.

This is not to say that a government or other authority cannot be challenged. But challenge via an individual rebellion is completely different than challenge via the means established for such challenges or challenge via another authoritative body.

A case could be made against the legitimacy of our government on the basis of abortion, but not on the basis of PP getting some tax money, especially when the law specifically prohibits said money from being used for abortion. And that’s true in spite of fungibility. Is it a problem that PP gets money? Of course. But you know who else gets money? Hospitals that commit child abuse through “gender reassignment surgery” and hormone treatments.

1 Like

So do I understand that you are making the claim that either the government is legitimate or it isn’t; and if it is then we must obey unequivocally, but if it isn’t then it’s not really rebellion?

In the context of my previous posts what government would not always in every way rapidly devolve to tyranny if all conflict were treated as rebellion?

If I am misunderstanding, what rubric should a Christian use to know what commands to obey or not to obey, or which governments to obey and which not to obey. Do I need to obey the government of an invading neighbor? Do I need to obey the United Nations? Do I need to obey those command that violate my conscience?

In my mid level role in government, I often times have to take positions for the safety of others and my own conscience that my higher ups wished I didn’t. Its not rebellion, it’s actually following the law, and they have soft mechanisms to persuade, cajole or even force me to a particular course of action, but that usually requires them to go on the record in contradiction with the law. Usually they just road block a thing, rather than assert a position that contradicts the application of the law.

Those that work in government sometime work on the fringe of the law due to ambiguity or silence in the law, but unless it’s formally documented it sort of gets winked at as executive discretion. I understand the need for such discretion but I’ve also seen higher ups throw people under the bus in self preservation, and there is little defense that you were just following orders.

I had one boss a few years ago basically tell me to wink at almost everything that my job title required me to report. I told them that I wouldn’t be indicted for their willful neglect and to either put it in writing or leave me alone. They saw that as a threat that I might appeal to criminal laws, and they were not wrong. They resigned and were gone within two weeks. I spent the next three years proving to the next boss, that I wasn’t the problem. He eventually came around and saw the problems that were developing because of his predecessors.

I expect that my experience in government, even at the fairly low level that it is, is commonplace at both the lowest and highest echelons of government. So there is a very practical need for Christians to understand how to serve God while working within complex government settings. Obey always is just not wise, but we definitely need to be careful to guard our integrity.

No. Just that you cannot say that the government has no authority to tax you the moment it does anything immoral with the money.

Your other questions are all good, but stray outside of the main question here. You’ve said you’re not advocating for refusing to pay taxes, which is all Im really trying to argue about. But since we agree, I’m not sure it makes sense to continue, even though I don’t seem to understand your position.

And that’s precisely the point. It’s following the law. It’s not an analogous situation. I honor your work and your standing up for truth and lawfulness and your conscience.

And you are right that it is complex and there is much need for wisdom in this area. If you haven’t read it, I recommend The Doctrine of the Lesser Magistrate. I think it suffers from not doing enough to distinguish between various types of bad laws, but it does a commendable job teaching on the necessity of disobeying superiors at times.

3 Likes