4 things Christian artists get WRONG!

New Warhorn Media post by Nathan Alberson:

2 Likes

Helpful for me, though I make few pretensions at being an artist, but I am prone to take shortcuts in teaching, occasionally relying too much on talent and memory.

2 Likes

I finally got around to listening to this. Very helpful, especially to someone like me who doesn’t really appreciate art all that often. I was struck by the similarities between the work required to be a good artist and a good Christian worker in general. In my specific context, as a scientist, it’s easy for people to think that scientists are just naturally brilliant and are coming up with these amazing discoveries and insights all of the time. While it’s true that there are inherently brilliant and gifted scientists who make paradigm-shifting discoveries, there are many more humble, hard-working scientists who don’t necessarily make the splashiest of discoveries but who’s work is, arguably, just as important. And even for those scientists who end up winning a Nobel prize or something like it, most of their hard work is not readily seen. The countless hours, days, years and even decades poured into a project or set of experiments to yield some astonishing result is often overlooked and not fully appreciated by outside observers.

1 Like

Thanks for the encouragement.

I wonder if everyone feels that way about their field or if some fields lend themselves to being more misunderstood.

1 Like

I think that it’s probably fairly common for most fields. As you guys say a lot on the Bookening and other places, our modern conception of a genius precludes thinking about all of the incredibly hard work that most people must perform in order to accomplish anything worthwile.